SUMMARY: Damien's Achievements..... May 19, 2008 11:53:21 GMT 10
Post by Roxy on May 19, 2008 11:53:21 GMT 10
Summary of Damien's Achievements[/size]
since winning Australian Idol 2006.
since winning Australian Idol 2006.
- 26th November 2006, Damien Leith crowned Australian Idol at the Sydney Opera House.
View (b) Winning Announcement
(i) long version - www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg_l-cQvhjA
(ii) short version - www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_SYmpzuaY
(a) Damien's Solo Performances
(i) Damien sings "Nessun Dorma" by Puccini
(ii) Damien sings "The Night of My Life"
- 28th November 2006, 'Night of My Life' was Released. The B side was an original song written by Damien called 'Come to Me' The single was certified "Gold" (35,000 copies sold) within 72 hours of its release.
- 3rd December 2006, 'Night of My Life' the single debuted at #1 and continued to stay in that position for 4 weeks, having Platinum accreditation (70,000 copies shipped) awarded in the first week of release. It was the fastest-selling debut single released during 2006, and also the most added song to radio.
- 9th December 2006, 'The Winner's Journey' CD/DVD pack was released. The DVD/CD debuted at #3 with Platinum accreditation (70,000 copies shipped) on the ARIA Album Charts released on Sunday, December 10, 2006, and rose to #1 on the following week, with 89,000 units sold and certified platinum four times (280,000 copies shipped). It sold a 2006 record of 101,206 units in the pre-Christmas week and continued to stay in the same position of #1 for the next four weeks.
- 18th January 2007, Damien was Officially announced as "Ambassador for Special Olympics Australia". Damien was also very involved with this charity" Special Olypmics Ireland" before coming to Australia. To read the announcement go HERE
- 18th January 2007, "Night of My Life" entered the Top 10 singles chart in Ireland. The next week it rose up two spots to the position of #8.
- 25th January 2007, Damien Leith became an Australian Citizen. To view the ceremony See below links.
- 25th January 2007, Damien Leith performed in a nationally televised concert, Australia Day Live, on the eve of Australia Day 2007, Damien performed two songs, "Tenterfield Saddler" with the Canberra Symphony Orchestra, and "Night of My Life". Details
For all Media Links including video Go HERE
- 20th February 2007, Damien embarked on a two week, 14 show tour of major Australian East Coast cities. Labelled 'The Winner's Journey Tour' It was a sell out Tour. Details HERE
- 22 February 2007, Damien was presented with 2 ARIA No.1 Chart Awards for his first single 'Night of My Life' and first album 'The Winner's Journey'.
- 16th April 2007, Damien Appeared in Who's Magazine Most Beautiful edition. Details HERE
- 29th April 2007, Damien was nominated for "Spankin' New Artist" and "Best Male Artist" awards at the MTV Australia Video Music Awards 2007. He also performed "Night of My Life".
- 3rd May 2007, Damien was presented an award in Ireland for “THE BEST OF IRISH AWARDS” it was presented by The Star/TV3 News in association with Waterford Chrystal, which his parents in Ireland collected for Damien on his behalf. The Best of Irish Awards are presented to people who have made special contributions to society and have had their stories told through the pages of the Star Newspaper and have featured on TV3 News in Ireland. Each month readers of The Star and TV3 News viewers nominate people who best sum up “Best of Irish”. To read how the night went go HERE
- 6th May 2007, TV Week Logie Awards 2007, Damien performed a Tribute song for those Australian entertainers who have passed away in the last 12 months, including Belinda Emmett, Steve Irwin and Billy Thorpe. Damien performed Ben Harper's "Waiting on an Angel". Watch HERE
- 22 June 2007, Damien's second single "22 Steps" was released to Australian radio.
- 9th July 2007, Damien was nominated for a 2007 Helpmann Award in the category of 'Best Performance' in an Australian Contemporary Concert For "THE WINNERS JOURNEY TOUR" (first time for an Idol) The winners were announced at a ceremony on Monday 6 August. Watch Damien performing "22 Steps" HERE
- 21st July 2007, Damien's single "22 Steps" was released to stores, which debuted and peaked at #11 on the ARIA Singles Chart.
- 18th August 2007, The studio album 'Where We Land' was released and debuted at #1 in the ARIA Album Charts. "Where We Land" had 9 original songs on it written by Damien. Damien is also the first Australian Idol winner to score two consecutive #1 albums. To view/buy and listen to tracks from the album go HERE
- 14th September 2007, Damien's 2nd single "All I Want Is You" from his "Where We Land" album, was released to radio. To view clip go HERE
- 17th September 2007, Damien's original song 'Shine Like the Sun' from his album "Where We Land" was used for the television advertising of the hit Series "City Homicide" on Channel 7. The whole song was played on 17th September at the end of the show to a montage of hight lights from the show. Youtube Link WATCH HERE
- 1st October 2007, Damien's first novel "One More Time" was released by Harper Collins Publishers. It was written by Damien three years before he auditioned for Australian Idol, and has been described by Damien as a psychological thriller set in Nepal. Details HERE
- October 2007, Damien was nominated for 3 ARIA Music Awards including; "Best Breakthrough Artist" and "Highest Selling Single" for 'Night of My Life' which he was unsuccessful in. He was also nominated for "Highest Selling Album" for 'The Winner's Journey' which he won.
View original ThreadHERE
- 1st November 2007, Damien embarked on a 15 show touring around Australia. Labelled the "Where We Land Tour". He Performed songs from the new album "Where We Land" and his Australian Idol album " The Winners Journey".
- 15th November 2007, Damien performed "22 Steps" on the TV soap opera "Neighbours" Channel 10. Read thread HERE
Watch Video HERE
- 17th November 2007, Damien released a Special Edition of his #1 Australian album 'Where We Land'! It includes a limited edition bonus disc with five specially recorded 'Christmas songs' including favourites such as 'I'll Be Home For Christmas', 'O Holy Night', 'The Christmas Song', and 'Silent Night' plus 'This Christmas' which Damien wrote himself. To hear a snippet of these songs go HERE
- 7th February 2008, Damien became host and narrator of Network 10's heart-warming television series "Saving Kids". A show filmed at Sydney Children's Hospital which allows viewers to see medical miracles unfolding in the stories of children being treated for serious illnesses and horrific injuries. Damien's own song "Not Just For The Weekend" off his debut studio album 'Where We Land' serves as the theme song and was released as a promotional single to promote the show. To read Discussion thread go HERE
To View video clip of "Not Just for the Weekend" go HERE
- 6th March 2008, Damien was Awarded for two weeks at No.1 at last year’s ARIA No.1 Chart Awards and qualified again for this year’s event with a further three weeks at the start of 2007 from 1 through 15 January 2007. Damien is the only artist to have had two No.1 albums during 2007. His first album, "The Winner’s Journey" was at No.1 for the last two weeks of the 2006 Awards eligibility period and continued for a further three weeks into 2007 which is why it is in this year’s list. With its quadruple platinum sales spanning 2006 and 2007 it won the ARIA Award for Highest Selling Album last year (2007) and came in at No.44 in ARIA’s recap of the biggest sellers of the 2007 calendar year.
Selling marginally more during 2007 (it was No.39 for the year) was Damien’s Platinum second album "Where We Land" which hit the chart in August and remained in the top 60 through to the end of the year.
- 26th April, 2008, Damien released his 3rd album, "Catch The Wind": Songs Of A Generation, which contain his own interpretations of classic folk songs from the 60's and 70's. "Catch the Wind" debuted on the ARIA Charts at #3. The second week leading up to Mothers Day "Catch the Wind" climbed to #2 narrowly missing out on the No.1 spot by about 200 sales. On 'The Morning Show' the week of the album release, Damien was presented with a Gold Plaque for 35,000 record sales. "Catch the Wind" on it's 3rd week of release stayed at No.2 on the ARIA charts.
Track listing HERE To listen/buy go HERE
- 16th May 2008, Damien again will embark on a tour around Australia performing songs from his newly released Album "Catch the Wind" He will be performing at 30 venues starting 16th May through to 3rd August. For Tour Details go HERE
- Damien's "Catch the Wind Tour" has been extended until December. For Tour Details go HERE
- Damien is also currently working and writing on another album which will consist of all originals, planned to be released in 2009.
- Damien is also writing his second novel about a Father and son relationship set in Belfast, Ireland, due for release 2009
To read Damien Leith's Bio go HERE