The Long Way Back for some reason brings back memories of the Beatles and what is even creepier .......I woke up singing this song .....didn't realise I knew it
Deep down you know you can be remarkable. You shouldn't settle for anything less than your best self, reaching ever closer to your potential - whether as a leader or in any other part of your life.
Vote for DLO & damienleith.net
My review: bloody marvellous! Damien should be very proud of this, it's an excellent debut. The best thing: he's been true to himself and the music he loves to write, there's nothing fake about any of it. I hope WWL debuts in the Top 3 this week, at least.
I've been excited for the album since I first downloaded the Idol mp3s last year but now that it's actually out and read your reviews I'm DYING to have a listen. Trouble is, I don't have a credit card, can't walk over to my local shop and get a copy, and even though I found a way to get the mp3s for free online I just can't do it because this isn't just any old CD, this is DAMIEN'S album and he deserves better. Dammit, I'd been told so[/b] many times that I'm a goody-two-shoes but I never realised until now that I seriously am.
Thank you so much, SJ! There was a moment where I thought it wasn't going to work for me but ninemsn finally decided to cut me a break and I'm currently listening to "All I Want Is You." I've never been more happy that I decided to invest in a quality pair of headphones.
It's annoying, I know when I first heard 22 Steps, Alone, NJFTW and Songbird I absolutely loved them , but since they aren't as new for me now as the other songs are it's hard for me to compare them with the other songs. Also, when I listen to the album, it's harder for me to get into these "older" songs. I can't work out why, especially with Alone and Songbird because those two were just so funtarstic for me the first time I heard them.
This morning I had the string part of 22 Steps in my head and I was humming/whistling it over and over again, but although I knew it was part of a song Damien sings, I couldn't work out what song it was!
I also can't remember how half the songs on the album go. Very annoying. But it's because when I listen to the album I like to listen to it all at once, and I haven't had much time to do that over the last week, so I've only listened to it four times. I also like to listen to it on my own, and so finding a time to do that is hard. I think I should probably just get over all my "listening preferences" and listen to Where We Land anytime, anywhere!
Post by olddantucker on Aug 31, 2007 14:15:54 GMT 10
Here's my belated album review...
Firstly a disclaimer. I’m reviewing this purely as a fan of Damien’s music so you’ll not find any DAMO IS HAAAAAWT! Comments here. That out of the way, straight up I’ll say that I like Where We Land, and some songs I really like a lot. It’s a strong debut. I believe it needed to be a little more varied in style, which is why I can’t understand why Who You Are isn’t on there (even if the drumming on this song appears to have been done on a cardboard box), and probably even needed a couple more songs that are simply acoustic – Song For Jarvis would fit well in that style. I don’t know why they overproduce his voice so much, especially given how pure it sounds on something like Danny Boy. If ever there was singer that didn’t need over-production it would be Damien, I would have thought. I think the production is a bit too glossy and the instrumentation is very cautious. However, it’s still a good first effort and I think 3.5 ;D ;D ;D out of 5 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D is pretty much right.
1) 22 Steps: It is an accomplished song, but not my choice for a first single as it doesn’t grab you on first listen – that’s okay for us but Joe Public could overlook it. The words are engagingly quirky. What is it about Canadian songwriters and raincoats?? Every Canook songwriter wants to be Leonard Cohen.
2) All I Want Is You: This I like a lot, although the keyboards remind me of ABBA for some reason. This will be a good single. I find myself singing it. This is a song that benefits from the full band sound, as I found it a bit too simple when he played it acoustic on Video Hits a little while back. I like the build up through the song. This should be a great single.
3) Beautiful: My wife’s favourite song on the album. A bit Sara McLachlan in some parts. Part of a good opening salvo – three classy songs to start, covering a variety of tempos.
4) Shine Like The Sun: Tis alright, but nothing special. There’s some Snow Patrol in there for sure. I like the guitar at the end but conversely don’t think those backing vocals at the end add anything at all.
5) I Still Miss Us: Could have been done completely acoustic. I haven’t taken to this song as much as others here have, but it’s growing on me. It has annoying tinkly piano work at times. Very nice vocal performance by Damien.
6) The Long Way Back: The intro not only features the direct pinch from A Day In The Life, but also the guitar start to One by U2. If you’re going to plagiarize, go with the best I say. Other than that, there’s a good guitar solo. And...er...that's it really.
7) Not just for the Weekend: Might have sounded better just Damien and guitar I think. I quite like the horns though.
8) Songbird: This is a nice cover, but with Damien’s voice and this song how could you fail? It’s interesting that this and Danny Boy are the most Idol-like of the songs – stripped back instruments and highlight his voice. Some of the originals don’t deliver in the same way.
9) Blew It All Away: This features the “awkward transition to falsetto” moment of the album, and in that reminds me of Crying on Idol. Listen to the MySpace version to see how Damien has improved Crying over time. The falsetto on Blew It All Away is a little jarring on first listen. Thinking about it, that could be the point – suicide shouldn’t be easy listening.
10) Alone: A real grower. I looked passed it a bit on early listens but it’s getting to me now. Good solid song.
11) Cold Cold Heart : a nice bouncy finish…a bit like the sun coming out from behind a cloud. Simple and fun.
12) Danny Boy: I like this because it showcases Damien’s voice in an Idol-ish way. I heard Damien describe this as “raw”…tell him he’s dreamin’. ;D